AD
adidasmufc

The Mens Room

Why are so many Nudists middle-aged men?

Posted Mar 9, 2015

Replies58
AD
adidasmufc
adidasmufcOriginal Poster
Mar 9, 2015
I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this site (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly by middle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio of single males to all others is probably about 10-1.

I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable about self and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied to sexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain the imbalance.

Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?
ReactReplySubscribe

Replies

  • NU
    nudony
    Mar 9, 2015
    Much of the nudist population are indeed Baby Boomers and Gen Xers.  More Boomers though.
    The reason for this, and I could be wrong, is cultural.  Boomers grew up in an era of "revolution" on many different levels.  What was previously hidden or kept in the closet "came out" guns blazing.  It was fertile grounds for nudism to develop and for more people to experience it.
    • Many Boomers quit or postponed nudism in order to raise us (Gen Xers) in a textile environment.  Some reexplored nudism once we left to make our own lives (empty-nest Boomers make up for a huge percentage of the nudist population.)
    • Gen Xers split in different directions.  Some embraced the openness of the "liberation" of the previous generation; others rejected it entirely.  Within my generation there is a lot of divisiveness when it comes to nudism and what it means.  Which is scary because once the Boomer generation has come to pass, my generation will likely do very little to present an united front and preserve it.
    1. But that's just one theory; and there are many others.

    • As far as women go...there is a huge body acceptance crisis in this country (as well as others.)  The media, fashion world, reality television, obesity epidemic, and the list goes on...are all contributing factors to women's lack of participation.  The internet is not a true representation of female nudism though; the ratio is much more balanced in the nudist world.  Why do women not participate as much in internet nudism?  One word: harassment.


    ReactReply
  • DE
    DesertRat
    Mar 10, 2015
    I believe that all of the previous answers were pretty much on the money but I believe that men are more inclined to be active on the internet. Women don't generally seem to want to surf the internet as much as the men. Women nudists are probably found in the general population in the same percentages as men but women are more guarded about where and with whom they practice nudism. Women nudists are out there in the same numbers as men but they just don't make their presence known as much as the men.
    ReactReply
  • ME
    Member
    Mar 10, 2015
    It took me a while longer to find it...so much for the fast start.  The above comments are probably correct for the most part; but I'm just enjoying it now.
    ReactReply
  • MI
    Michael
    Mar 11, 2015
    [quote]I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this site (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly by middle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio of single males to all others is probably about 10-1.

    I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable about self and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied to sexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain the imbalance.

    Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?
    [/quote]cause we come from the hippy era remember it hasn't been that long ago freedom of expression
    ReactReply
  • ST
    StevieLorna
    Mar 24, 2015
    Adidasmufc, your profile says you are a single 55 year old man. Nothing wrong with that.

    But maybe you could answer your own question.
    ReactReply
  • PH
    Apr 20, 2015

    Ive only started the part time nudity thing about 5 years ago. Spouse isnt much into it and wanted to wait until kids were old enough to be comfortable with it if I were nude around the house. I dont do it very often but its nice when i can.

    ReactReply
  • PH
    Apr 20, 2015
    Ive only started the part time nudity thing about 5 years ago. Spouse isnt much into it and wanted to wait until kids were old enough to be comfortable with it if I were nude around the house. I dont do it very often but its nice when i can.
    ReactReply
  • TR
    Travellingbizguy
    Nov 9, 2015
    To me, my slide into nudity is more of a mid life, rebellious thing.  As my long term marriage ends and I will soon be single, it is a change thing for me.  I would never have been allowed nude in the house except to and from the shower etc, even walking in underwear was a, Can't you put some clothes on.
    So I will be able to do what I want, when I want.
    ReactReply
  • JA
    jason
    Nov 9, 2015

    look at it this way, 10 - 15 years from the middle age nudists will be older nudists. and will you be asking why there are so many older nudists? lol

    ReactReply
  • NO
    Nov 12, 2015

    I think if you were to reverse the question and ask why there are so few younger nudists you would have part of the answer.  These include the fear of erections, the cost of getting to nudist venues which are often a distance away, and for women body confidence issues.

    ReactReply
  • SO
    Solitary_Man
    Nov 16, 2015

    Because at this age, we don't give a flyin flip anymore. Job, who cares, most of us are retired anyway; social our friends know us, others, who cares?

    ReactReply
  • JS
    Jim Shorts
    Nov 19, 2015
    [quote]I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this site (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly by middle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio of single males to all others is probably about 10-1.

    I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable about self and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied to sexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain the imbalance.

    Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?
    [/quote]I don't know if what you say is true; perhaps women are just more introverted on the lifestyle or have to deal with men being annoying, more.
    ReactReply
  • NU
    nudefish
    Dec 30, 2015
    I have tried to be nude as much as possible for a number of years, but it has been mostly to home nudity and laying out by my private pool. After I retired and was no longer worried about my job I felt I was able to venture out to nude beaches. I still haven't been to a resort.
    ReactReply
  • RG
    Rowen Gahor
    Dec 31, 2015
    Yah, why?
    In my own perception, it is at this stage of life that you do not think of hang ups anymore. You want to exercise things that will give you more freedom. It is at this stage of life that "what if" will slowly melt down and eventually, disintegrate in men's attitude. It is at this stage that the things you wanted to explore but did not happened, comes true in whatever manner or ways.
    I do love to be nude even in my early adulthood, but what if the neighbors sees me. What if my parents get mad at me when he sees me. What if my crush knew about my naked activity. Thus, I just resorted to go half naked only, doing and copying what my father did, wearing just panty in the house and in our yard.
    But now, I am going 51, I have this daring feeling to go fully naked without worrying who sees me and without worrying what other people say after seeing me. All I am after is that I am free and I love the way it is NAKED.
    rowenudity yours....
    ReactReply
  • NU
    Dec 31, 2015
    Agree with just about everything I read here.  At 66, I don't think that I am middle aged any longer, but do enjoy the freedom that being nude gives me even if it is pretty much restricted to in the house.  Even in the textile world, I have a very limited social life.
    ReactReply
  • HO
    HotHarleyCouple
    Dec 31, 2015
    This is Mrs. Harley here, speaking on behalf of us women.Men are always speaking for us, and usually are way off track, on most of it.I, as a female have been enjoying nude sun tanning and being naked, as much as I can ever since I was 15 years old.During that entire time till now, I have never once been harassed or felt threatened in any way, what so ever.Yes, of course I have been hit on and have had many many compliments send my way, but at no time, have I ever been harassed to the point that I felt uncomfortable or unsafe.I and we, have been all over the world, and have explored and stayed at many various nude resorts and nude beaches, from vanilla resorts to more adult oriented resorts such as Hedo, Desires and Hidden Beach, and have not once either witnessed any harassment or had any of it coming my way.From my own experience and our own travels, the women are just as much into nudity as the men are, if not even more so.One can not use this site or sites like this one, to gauge what the actual ratios are ( men to women ) , when sites like this attract only older men or single / married perverts, with nothing but time on their hands and looking for a cheap thrill.You read or see so many older men on here who are married, yet there is no involvement from their own wives?You would think, that should be the real question here.Why are you married if, you are not doing things together?Especially the sharing of enjoying the sun and fun together, as a married couple.I would think, that if you are in a healthy loving relationship, that doing things together, especially in your later years, would be the most special and loving thing that you could do, for one another.If she is into nudity, then you are into nudity as well.But, if nudity is just her thing, than you are not with the right partner.Since men love to speak for us woman, let this woman tell you what we think.We happen to think that this site and sites like this one, are flooded with older married men ( sans wife)  and single men, just in order for them to get their jollies off.The chat sections are nothing but older men and the forums are dominated with grumpy old men, with not one woman amongst them., yet they are married.The poster writes: Why are so many Nudists middle aged men?Being a female, my answer would be, just because they are looking for a cheap thrill, if the truth be known.Their middle age wife, probably has no idea that they are even trolling on this site, yet here they are.I could be wrong, and just as wrong as you males are, about us woman being in fear of being Harassed, by you males.It is just not so.A simple F OFF, will put a quick end to any unwanted conversations or any corny and unwanted pick up lines.To you married men, who are doing your own thing, without your wives being involved, Shame on you!Find something else, that you can do "together", besides you just thinking about yourself, while finding your own cheap thrills.



    ReactReply
  • NU
    NudeJohnny
    Dec 31, 2015
    [quote]This is Mrs. Harley here, speaking on behalf of us women.Men are always speaking for us, and usually are way off track, on most of it.I, as a female have been enjoying nude sun tanning and being naked, as much as I can ever since I was 15 years old.During that entire time till now, I have never once been harassed or felt threatened in any way, what so ever.Yes, of course I have been hit on and have had many many compliments send my way, but at no time, have I ever been harassed to the point that I felt uncomfortable or unsafe.I and we, have been all over the world, and have explored and stayed at many various nude resorts and nude beaches, from vanilla resorts to more adult oriented resorts such as Hedo, Desires and Hidden Beach, and have not once either witnessed any harassment or had any of it coming my way.From my own experience and our own travels, the women are just as much into nudity as the men are, if not even more so.One can not use this site or sites like this one, to gauge what the actual ratios are ( men to women ) , when sites like this attract only older men or single / married perverts, with nothing but time on their hands and looking for a cheap thrill.You read or see so many older men on here who are married, yet there is no involvement from their own wives?You would think, that should be the real question here.Why are you married if, you are not doing things together?Especially the sharing of enjoying the sun and fun together, as a married couple.I would think, that if you are in a healthy loving relationship, that doing things together, especially in your later years, would be the most special and loving thing that you could do, for one another.If she is into nudity, then you are into nudity as well.But, if nudity is just her thing, than you are not with the right partner.Since men love to speak for us woman, let this woman tell you what we think.We happen to think that this site and sites like this one, are flooded with older married men ( sans wife)  and single men, just in order for them to get their jollies off.The chat sections are nothing but older men and the forums are dominated with grumpy old men, with not one woman amongst them., yet they are married.The poster writes: Why are so many Nudists middle aged men?Being a female, my answer would be, just because they are looking for a cheap thrill, if the truth be known.Their middle age wife, probably has no idea that they are even trolling on this site, yet here they are.I could be wrong, and just as wrong as you males are, about us woman being in fear of being Harassed, by you males.It is just not so.A simple F OFF, will put a quick end to any unwanted conversations or any corny and unwanted pick up lines.To you married men, who are doing your own thing, without your wives being involved, Shame on you!Find something else, that you can do "together", besides you just thinking about yourself, while finding your own cheap thrills.



    [/quote]

    Mr. and Mrs. Harley make the exact same misspelling, punctuation errors and bad grammar mistakes. Isn't that cute.
    ReactReply
  • MA
    ManOfWicklow
    Dec 31, 2015
    [quote][quote]This is Mrs. Harley here, speaking on behalf of us women.Men are always speaking for us, and usually are way off track, on most of it.I, as a female have been enjoying nude sun tanning and being naked, as much as I can ever since I was 15 years old.During that entire time till now, I have never once been harassed or felt threatened in any way, what so ever.Yes, of course I have been hit on and have had many many compliments send my way, but at no time, have I ever been harassed to the point that I felt uncomfortable or unsafe.I and we, have been all over the world, and have explored and stayed at many various nude resorts and nude beaches, from vanilla resorts to more adult oriented resorts such as Hedo, Desires and Hidden Beach, and have not once either witnessed any harassment or had any of it coming my way.From my own experience and our own travels, the women are just as much into nudity as the men are, if not even more so.One can not use this site or sites like this one, to gauge what the actual ratios are ( men to women ) , when sites like this attract only older men or single / married perverts, with nothing but time on their hands and looking for a cheap thrill.You read or see so many older men on here who are married, yet there is no involvement from their own wives?You would think, that should be the real question here.Why are you married if, you are not doing things together?Especially the sharing of enjoying the sun and fun together, as a married couple.I would think, that if you are in a healthy loving relationship, that doing things together, especially in your later years, would be the most special and loving thing that you could do, for one another.If she is into nudity, then you are into nudity as well.But, if nudity is just her thing, than you are not with the right partner.Since men love to speak for us woman, let this woman tell you what we think.We happen to think that this site and sites like this one, are flooded with older married men ( sans wife)  and single men, just in order for them to get their jollies off.The chat sections are nothing but older men and the forums are dominated with grumpy old men, with not one woman amongst them., yet they are married.The poster writes: Why are so many Nudists middle aged men?Being a female, my answer would be, just because they are looking for a cheap thrill, if the truth be known.Their middle age wife, probably has no idea that they are even trolling on this site, yet here they are.I could be wrong, and just as wrong as you males are, about us woman being in fear of being Harassed, by you males.It is just not so.A simple F OFF, will put a quick end to any unwanted conversations or any corny and unwanted pick up lines.To you married men, who are doing your own thing, without your wives being involved, Shame on you!Find something else, that you can do "together", besides you just thinking about yourself, while finding your own cheap thrills.



    [/quote]

    Mr. and Mrs. Harley make the exact same misspelling, punctuation errors and bad grammar mistakes. Isn't that cute.
    [/quote]I wouldn't know, I never bother reading their long boring immature posts.
    ReactReply
  • [quote] [quote]This is Mrs. Harley here, speaking on behalf of us women.Men are always speaking for us, and usually are way off track, on most of it.I, as a female have been enjoying nude sun tanning and being naked, as much as I can ever since I was 15 years old.During that entire time till now, I have never once been harassed or felt threatened in any way, what so ever.Yes, of course I have been hit on and have had many many compliments send my way, but at no time, have I ever been harassed to the point that I felt uncomfortable or unsafe.I and we, have been all over the world, and have explored and stayed at many various nude resorts and nude beaches, from vanilla resorts to more adult oriented resorts such as Hedo, Desires and Hidden Beach, and have not once either witnessed any harassment or had any of it coming my way.From my own experience and our own travels, the women are just as much into nudity as the men are, if not even more so.One can not use this site or sites like this one, to gauge what the actual ratios are ( men to women ) , when sites like this attract only older men or single / married perverts, with nothing but time on their hands and looking for a cheap thrill.You read or see so many older men on here who are married, yet there is no involvement from their own wives?You would think, that should be the real question here.Why are you married if, you are not doing things together?Especially the sharing of enjoying the sun and fun together, as a married couple.I would think, that if you are in a healthy loving relationship, that doing things together, especially in your later years, would be the most special and loving thing that you could do, for one another.If she is into nudity, then you are into nudity as well.But, if nudity is just her thing, than you are not with the right partner.Since men love to speak for us woman, let this woman tell you what we think.We happen to think that this site and sites like this one, are flooded with older married men ( sans wife)  and single men, just in order for them to get their jollies off.The chat sections are nothing but older men and the forums are dominated with grumpy old men, with not one woman amongst them., yet they are married.The poster writes: Why are so many Nudists middle aged men?Being a female, my answer would be, just because they are looking for a cheap thrill, if the truth be known.Their middle age wife, probably has no idea that they are even trolling on this site, yet here they are.I could be wrong, and just as wrong as you males are, about us woman being in fear of being Harassed, by you males.It is just not so.A simple F OFF, will put a quick end to any unwanted conversations or any corny and unwanted pick up lines.To you married men, who are doing your own thing, without your wives being involved, Shame on you!Find something else, that you can do "together", besides you just thinking about yourself, while finding your own cheap thrills.



    [/quote]

    Mr. and Mrs. Harley make the exact same misspelling, punctuation errors and bad grammar mistakes. Isn't that cute.
    [/quote]
    Yeah I read "Mrs" Harley's post. Strange how it sounds just like mr Harley. Same phrases. Same Errors.

    ReactReply
  • MA
    ManOfWicklow
    Jan 1, 2016
    [quote]Mr. and Mrs. Harley make the exact same misspelling, punctuation errors and bad grammar mistakes. Isn't that cute.
    [/quote]
    Yeah I read "Mrs" Harley's post. Strange how it sounds just like mr Harley. Same phrases. Same Errors.

    Trolls, like unruly kids, are just a minor Annoyance we must endure from time to time.
    ReactReply
  • ST
    StevieLorna
    Jan 1, 2016
    So you did both posts?



    ReactReply
  • MA
    ManOfWicklow
    Jan 1, 2016
    Can anyone remember what this thread is about ?  It's gone so far off track, I'm completely lost.
    ReactReply
  • [quote] So you did both posts?



    [/quote]Betca don't get an honest answer.
    ReactReply
  • CR
    Clive Rand
    Jan 11, 2016
    Sadly I think if I was a woman, I would probably think twice or even rethink again before showing my body in naked form. Seeing some of the comments women have to contend with, it is no wonder they just keep a low profile. Another case I think of a minority ruining things for the majority, The people I have met, have been happy go lucky people that are happy doing what they do, my wife does not like to post pictures simply because when she does, so many people give her unwanted comments, nice breasts, wish I was beside you, They fit my mouth nicely, and a heap of others. So now days we simply go to a naturist area and just do our thing, and she is comfortable with that. as mentioned earlier, the ratio is a little better balanced in life than it is on the net, probably because if you spoke to women in person like some do online they would get a smack across the face for their disrespect. but that is just my opinion, and I am not trying to have a go at anyone, they are just my observations.
    ReactReply